Sunday, March 1, 2009

overwhelming refreshment


i went home this weekend with a few missions in mind #1 finding anthony kell and ana and going to the chiro! well i arrived at the youth center around 4ish on friday after school to find kids playing basketball and rock band and hangin out! not a shock at the RIYC later that night i knew there would be a 5-6th grade club there "friday night FLAVA" and i heard that anthony was seen at school that day so i went home to unpack and hang out with family when i got a call hey anthony is hear tonight and you should go surprise him!! i was so on that! i walked in during message time and saw him and immediately a huge smile crossed both our faces!! i walked to the back and assumed my role of keeping kids quiet and i just looked out over the crowd of kids listening intently to this "cheesy" christian movie about heaven and hell and i looked at familiar faces and thought of all the memories i have had with so many of these kids the past 2 years! and the feeling was so overwhelming i was so refreshed to be in the place where i discovered my passion and GOd really grew my heart for the inner city in a huge way!!

after the message i looked up after prayer and kids darted to the gym to play ball and some stayed to pray and anthony in the front row hadnt moved so i went to talk to him and hug him cuz hes my boy!! and he was crying...this 10 year old boy was so overwhelmed by emotion that his mom and brothers and sister might not go to heaven with him he was brought to tears! mind you this is the kid who has raised his siblings and was living with another family because of homelessness (story described in previous blogs) i couldnt believe it so i prayed with him both of us tears streaming down our faces discussing what it meant when he accepted Christ in the back seat of my car and how that can never be taken away from him no matter what he does God will always love him and he is Gods son! as i sat and thought about how God used this very child to bring me to my knees and submit my future and my calling to Him i was so overwhelmed

i remember sitting in that very room wrestling with God about my future and really releasing my life to him and submitting to his will for me in that very room i prayed with Anthony that night...i remember discussions with brandy about how she knew i wasnt going to do anything but inner city ministry and i fought it and fought it (i am stubborn)

Even though God might want me somewhere else i know that i can always go back and feel the same way i did when i finally surrendered my will to God and the RIYC is always in my heart

i thank you GOd for times of refreshment and reflection of why i am where i am in life i thank you so much for anthony and kell and ana and all the other kids that have influenced my life in Rock Island i thank you so much for bringing them back and them being safe i pray that you would protect all the kids at CF physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. be with them and move in the Rock Island Youth Center in a mighty way!

No comments: